Health and family togetherness with the love of good friends – what could be more important! We wish your family the most grateful of thanksgivings – as we are with ours. We feel so very blessed to live in the USA and to have had the education and opportunities that this great country have given us and now generations of our families. It is all about an attitude of gratitude – not a sense of entitlement – and those who are the most grateful and filled with an intense work ethic – are the ones that receive – and give – the most.
Chicken in Crockpot with Oranges ( I use Slow Cooker interchangeably with Crockpot which is a brand of Slow cooker in this recipe)
- 3 chicken breasts and 3 thighs ( bone-in but skinless and organic – we prefer to use only thighs and only boneless ones – but you can choose what you prefer)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 onions, chopped
- 1 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) whole berry cranberry sauce
- 3 ounces orange juice
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons chili sauce or 3 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 2 oranges, sliced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- Rub salt onto chicken breasts/thighs and place in dish.
- In a medium bowl mix onion, celery, cranberry sauce, orange juice, dry mustard, cinnamon, lemon juice, honey, brown sugar and chili sauce. Stir and pour over chicken.
- Place the mixture into the crock pot.
- Place lid on crock pot. Turn crock pot on high and allow to cook 1 hour. Turn on low for 3 or 4 hours. NOTE: I have tried leaving crock pot on high the entire time and this dish was done in 3 1/2 hours.
- Lift lid and quickly place orange slices over chicken without stirring. Cook an additional hour.
- Combine cornstarch and cold water. Add last 10 minutes of cooking time for thickening purposes.
- Serve over cooked basmati or brown rice and enjoy!
We prefer all thighs – here they are with part of the sauce mixture over them.