This is another quick and delicious dessert using apples and granola – easy to get the ingredients and to put together. Good when cooking with kids too. Talking about kids – here is the Apple of my eye! Our oldest grandson Jack, for the first time on a horse – which made my husband happy as he LOVES to ride – I used to as well – but then decided that Cooking was more fun!
And Cooking IS more fun! Just take a look at this scrumptious dessert!
Apple, Granola and Ginger Dessert
6 tablespoons melted butter
2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 tablespoons grated ginger
3/4 cup unbleached flour
1 1/4 cup granola, any kind but we love maple-pecan
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
7 Fuji apples, cored, skinned and wedge-cut into 1/16-inch cubes
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup apple cider
2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven 450 degrees F.
- In a frying pan, melt 6 tablespoons butter and add 1/2 tablespoon grated ginger to it.
- When the ginger releases its aroma, turn off the heat.
- Topping: In large mixing bowl, combine 3/4 cup unbleached flour, 1 1/2 cup granola (maple-pecan preferably), 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Add the butter/ginger and mix well. Set aside.
- In large bowl, toss 7 Fuji apples (cored, skinned, and cut into 16 wedges) together with 1/4 cup granulated sugar, and 1/2 tablespoon grated ginger. Set aside.
- In a 12-inch frying pan, reduce cider over high heat to 1/2 cup. Mix with lemon juice and set aside.
- Return frying pan to low heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter.
- Add remaining grated ginger. Mix together thoroughly and let ginger release its aroma.
- Turn up heat to high and add apple mixture, stirring frequently.
- Cook until translucent and soft about ten minutes or more.
- Remove from heat and add cider and lemon mixture.
You will have to restrain yourself from snacking on this all day/night long – it is that good.