Apple and mincemeat crumble (4- 6)
This is an English Recipe from my sister so I have kept the UK measurements and put the USA ones next to them.
- 500 g sliced cooking apples ( 1.1 lbs)
- 150 g mincemeat ( 6 ounces) I bought this from THE AFRICAN HUT ( online store with all sorts of goodies from the UK and the colonies!)
- 2 tbl sugar
- 2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon butter
- ½ teaspoon ground mixed spice ( I made this up – see the recipe below – it may be too spicy for American tastes so do not use too much – maybe one tablespoon is enough and keep the rest in an airtight bag labeled in the pantry for the next time)
- 2 tbl brandy
Cook apples in enough water to cover for 10 – 12 minutes until cooked but firm. Drain well or the end result will be too juicy – my result was that way as you can see from the picture. The water is good to drink – apple water! Heat oven to 400°F. Grease a medium sized baking dish with the butter. Set aside. Mix apples, mincemeat, 1 tsp of the rind, mixed spice and brandy. Place in baking dish.
Here is a typical blend of spices used to make mixed spice –
1 Tbs ground allspice.
1 Tbs ground cinnamon.
1 Tbs ground nutmeg.
2 tsp ground mace.
1 tsp ground cloves.
1 tsp ground coriander.
1 tsp ground Ginger.
Mix them all together.
- 180 g ( 6.5 ounces) sifted flour
- 90 g (3.1 ounces) butter
- 100 g (3.5 ounces) sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- ½ teaspoons ground mixed spice
Pulse flour and butter until like coarse bread crumbs. Stir in sugar, lemon rind, mixed spices and mix until blended. Spoon over apple mixture spreading out evenly. Bake for 30 – 40 minutes till brown and crisp. It is best served with icecream or ( if you are saving calories) Cool whip!