Cabbage Roll Casserole
- 2 pounds ground chicken
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 (29 ounce) can tomato sauce ( note this is NOT ketchup!)
- 3 1/2 pounds chopped cabbage
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice ( you could use white rice but we prefer the nutty taste of brown)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 (14 ounce) cans beef broth ( I use Better than Bouillon)
- Grated ( freshly) Parmesan and Fresh Lemon
- In a large skillet, brown ground chicken ( you can use turkey or beef too) in oil over medium high heat until redness is gone. Drain off fat.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the onion, tomato sauce, cabbage, rice, garlic powder and salt.
- Add cooked ground chicken and mix all together.
- Pour mixture into a slow cooker
- Pour broth over mixture and cook on high for about 4 hours.
- Taste and season again before serving
- I like to grate some parmesan onto the top of each serving along with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice before serving very hot