We just finished a truly delicious dinner – and here is the easy recipe for you.
Chicken with Olives Capers and Couscous
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 Tbsp of Capers ( drained)
- 1 (3-pound) quartered chicken, skinned
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup pitted green olives
- Grated peel of 1 lemon
- 2 cups hot cooked couscous
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Place tomatoes, 1 cup broth, and next 5 ingredients (through turmeric) in an electric slow cooker.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Sprinkle chicken with pepper and salt. Add chicken to pan; cook chicken about 8 minutes, browning on all sides. Place in slow cooker. Pour remaining 1/2 cup broth into pan, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Pour liquid into slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours. Thirty minutes before end of cooking time, stir in olives and rind.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker; cool. Remove meat from bones; return meat to slow cooker. Discard bones.
- Serve stew over couscous, and sprinkle with almonds. OR
- Mix the cooked couscous into the slow cooker mixture and let it all heat for about 30 minutes. Then serve with chopped or sliced almonds on top