Cooking with Kids – a wonderful recipe for Brisket and Apricots – great for winter evenings!
Doing chores around the house is important during the sunny winter days – getting ready for the rainy season. Here Jack and Jonah help Max paint the front gate. Messy but really fun!
We were waiting for a scrumptious dinner that we had all prepared together that morning – cooking in the crockpot while we did other things! Here is that recipe for you!
Brisket and Apricots
This has got to be one of my favorite comfort foods especially if served with mashed potatoes!
Cooking with kids is easy when using these ingredients. Just let them throw in the dry ingredients ( soup mix and apricots) and you do the frying and browning. They can also help you make mashed potatoes ( you peel, they throw them into the cold water, and then they help you mash). Expect to make a big mess and put newspaper under your mixing bowls. Put on some terrific happy music – and enjoy! Try DANCING IN MY ROOM!
1/3 cup vegetable oil – I use Olive or canola
16 pounds beef brisket – keep some fat on or it will be dry
3 onions, chopped
5 cloves fresh crushed garlic
3 (1 ounce) packages dry onion soup mix –
4 pounds dried apricots
1. In a large heavy skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. When the oil is hot, brown the beef on all sides. If the brisket is too large, cut it in half first, and brown in two stages. Place the meat in a large Dutch oven with a lid.
2. Add onions to the drippings in the skillet. Saute over medium heat until the onions are beginning to brown. Stir in garlic, and cook for 2 or 3 more minutes. Pour over the brisket in the Dutch oven.
3. Empty 2 packages of dry, instant onion soup mix over the browned onions and meat. Arrange all of the apricots on top of the soup mix. Pour enough water around outside of meat, not on top, to cover the sides of brisket. Cover.
4. Bake at 325 degrees F (160 degrees C) for 1 hour.
5. Check liquid; if dish is starting to look dry, add a bit more water around meat. Cover, and cook another hour. Remove lid, and stir apricots into gravy. Leave uncovered, and cook for another hour. Stir gravy again, and add more water if the gravy is too thick. Meat should be very tender; generally I find in my oven that I have to bake for an additional 1/2 hour. Cut across grain to serve.
This can be made in a crockpot – after step 2 put everything into a crockpot and then continue with steps 3-5. You will NOT need to add any more liquid in the crockpot ( it will take 8 hours at least to cook on low).
Serve with creamy mashed potatoes, or steamed rice with green peas added in the last 10 minutes of cooking.
This entry was posted in Blog
, Recipes to Make with Children
and tagged Apricots
, Brisket with apricots
, cooking with kids
, mashed potatoes
. Bookmark the permalink