Cooking with kids – so much fun whenver we do it. Last week we made sugar cookies and I misread the recipe so had to make it up and it turned out fine! Here is the recipe that worked out fine even though it was a rescue project! And Jack and Jonah our oldest grandkids helped a lot – of course there was a big mess – to be expected when cooking with kids – and as we heat our swimming pool and the weather was fine – we had a swim before ( and while we were waiting for the cookies to bake!)
1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
1 cup sour milk ( add white vinegar to regular or 2% milk to make it sour)
5 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and mix well. Combine dry ingredients.
- Add to butter mixture by alternating with sour milk.
- Refrigerate dough till stiff.
- Roll out on floured surface and cut with cookie cutters. Since our grandkids were helping, we used our fingers to roll the dough into small balls ( some were rather odd shaped since each child made his own version but the taste was still wonderful!)
- Bake about 10 minutes. DO NOT OVERBAKE!
Of course we have music going all the time – this time it was one of our favorite classical composers -Johann Sebastian Bach and the Brandenburg Concerto’s.