It is the time for fresh beets and so I could not resist making beet soup. We love it – and add small hard boiled eggs ( quail eggs) and it makes for a healthy and filling meal. Of course you can add to it wonderful things like sour cream or a dollop of cream cheese. Both of the latter could be low fat to reduce the calorie impact.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 6 medium beets, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups beef stock or if you want it to be vegan then use vegetable stock
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Sour cream ( light) or Cream Cheese ( light)
- Warm olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in onions and garlic; cook until soft but not browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in beets, and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in stock, and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cover, and simmer until the beets are tender, about 20 to 30 minutes. Remove from heat, and allow to cool slightly.
- In batches, add soup to a food processor, and pulse until liquefied. Return soup to saucepan, and gently heat through. Ladle into bowls, and garnish with a swirl of cream.