The California Drought Continues. We worry a lot about our water bill which is HUGE and getting larger. We get no release for being an agricultural property. And we recycle, and reclaim etc etc. But the bill keeps going up. Very very concerning.
The good news is that the early fall weather here is truly wonderful – warm with a tinge of coolness in the air especially at night. And we love living in California. Traffic is awful but having traveled worldwide I have discovered it’s awful everywhere!
Its time for soups, slow cookers, dutch ovens and pies! Here is a great recipe we enjoy!
Beef Tagine in a Dutch Oven
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (1-pound) beef shoulder roast or petite tender roast, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 shallots, quartered
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups (1-inch) cubed peeled butternut squash (about 1 pound)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1. Combine first 6 ingredients in a medium bowl. Add beef; toss well to coat.
2. Heat oil in a Dutch oven ( or an actual Tagine) over medium-high heat. Add beef and shallots; cook 4 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Stir in broth and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Cook 5 minutes. Add squash; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until squash is tender. Sprinkle with cilantro.