I LOVE making bread with my grandsons – such fun kneading it just a few Fridays ago! Lucky me! Fortunately throwing the dough around to pick up the pieces helps it taste even better! Clean hands for all little boys and Grandma are essential of course before starting!
Slow Cooker Turkey and Oranges
- 3 cups thinly sliced red onion (1 large onion)
- 3/4 cup riesling or other slightly sweet white wine
- 2/3 cup fresh orange juice (2 large oranges)
- 1/3 cup orange marmalade ( we make our own)
- 2 teaspoons tamarind paste ( most specialty markets have this but if you cannot find it you could leave it out)
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (we leave this out)
- 3 3/4 pounds bone-in turkey thighs, skinned ( only organic of course)
- 2 teaspoons five-spice powder ( Chinese spice – most markets have it)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups fresh Satsuma mandarin orange sections (about 7 oranges) (If you cannot find Satsuma – you can use any other sweet oranges you have – we love the small clementines which we grow that are divinely sweet – below are navels)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Sliced green onions (optional)
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a 5-quart oval electric slow cooker.
- Rinse turkey with cold water; pat dry. Sprinkle turkey with five-spice powder and salt. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add turkey; cook 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until browned. Place turkey in a single layer over onion mixture in slow cooker, overlapping slightly. Add orange sections. Cover and cook on LOW for 4 hours.
- Remove turkey from slow cooker. Remove bones from turkey; discard bones. Place turkey on a platter. Pour cooking liquid and orange sections into a medium saucepan, reserving 1/4 cup cooking liquid. Combine reserved cooking liquid and cornstarch in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Stir cornstarch mixture into orange mixture in saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute or until sauce thickens.
- Serve sauce over turkey. Sprinkle with green onions, if desired.