Its always fun to find a way to make boring chicken a little less boring. Here is a great and easy recipe that the kids absolutely loved! Try it and let me know how your family enjoys it?
- 4 chicken breasts ( we prefer thighs so I did a mixture)
- 4 Tbsp each of yellow mustard, brown mustard and if you like it, ( we don’t) hot mustard
- 3 Tbsp of honey
- 2 Tbsp of canola oil
- 4 cups of salted pretzels
- Pam Spray
- 1/2 cup of low fat mayo
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees ( I needed two ovens for this)
- Mix 2 Tbsp of each of the mustard’s and 2 Tbsp of the canola oil in a freezer bag and mix well then place aside
- Pound the chicken pieces one by one in a strong double plastic freezer bag until thinner – like for Vienna schnitzels
- Place the chicken pieces into the marinade in the freezer bag and put in the fridge for an hour or so.
- Pound 4 cups of salted pretzels in a freezer bag until crumbs.
- Place foil onto two baking pans and spray Pam over the foil
- Put each piece of chicken into the crumbed pretzel mixture until well coated and place onto the baking pan and spray again with Pam spray.
- Bake for 12 minutes each side – flipping after the first 12 minutes and cook for 25 minutes or until cooked through. Do NOT overcook
- In the meantime mix the remaining 2 Tbsp of yellow, Brown and Hot mustard with 2 Tbsp of honey and 1/2 cup of low fat mayo and drizzle over the chicken before serving.
The children snacked on pretzels and loved the pounding part of this recipe!! A keeper for sure!
CAVEAT: The only part about this recipe that I was not crazy about – was that when I flipped the pieces, the lovely crust did not stay on – if anyone has a great idea on how to prevent that happening – please share! I am tempted NOT to flip them next time as the picture you see below is of the flipped side and the crust is uneven and not pretty. The taste was still great – but visual cues are also important – so any advice on this is welcome!