Paprika Chicken in the Slow Cooker
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded and sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 (28 oz.) can whole plum tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped, with 1/2 cup juice reserved
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp Hungarian paprika
- 1 tablespoon
- 1 (3 lb.) chicken, quartered and skinned or chicken pieces boned and skinned ( we prefer the latter but the downside is that the chicken can get tough when off the bone )
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup low fat sour cream
- Place peppers, onion, tomatoes, juice, 1/2 cup chicken broth, garlic and paprika in a slow cooker.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 Tbsp. oil over medium high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Add to skillet and brown all sides, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer to slow cooker.
- Pour remaining 1/2 cup broth in skillet; scrape bottom of pan to incorporate browned bits.
- Pour liquid into slow cooker and cook on high setting for 6 hours.
- Remove chicken and let cool. Remove meat from bones and return to slow cooker; discard bones. Stir in sour cream.
- Serve with rice ( one option is to mix rice with quinoa – really delicious!)