The grand-kids start preparing weeks in advance – such excitement! Here they are – and of course we got into it too. Last year we were Mustard and Ketchup – this year we were – (what else!) Hot Dog and Cheeseburger! Here are the four boys ( cops and wild man Jack in mask with robber parents)
Are these two so cute or what?
Slow Cooker Curried Vegetables on Couscous – beyond easy!
- 4 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled baking potato (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 4 cups cubed tomato (about 1 1/2 pounds) ( we grow our own but you could use canned tomatoes in puree if you wish)
- 1 cup chopped onion ( I like white sweet onions)
- 1 cup (1/4-inch) diagonally cut carrot ( I like the baby ones as they are sweeter)
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper ( we leave this out as we do not like spicy stuff)
- 2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained ( I do not like chickpeas so I exchange beans red or white or black for this)
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 green onion tops, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 cups hot cooked couscous
- 6 tablespoons mango chutney ( we make our own)
- 6 tablespoons raisins
- 6 tablespoons plain fat-free yogurt ( we make our own from our goats milk)
Above mango from The Little Farm
- Place potato in a 4-quart electric slow cooker. Combine tomato and next 9 ingredients (through garlic) in a bowl; stir well. Spoon over potato. Cover and cook on LOW for 9 hours. Stir in cilantro and green onions. Serve over couscous; top with chutney, raisins, and yogurt.