Kids seem to love pizza. This one is pretty sophisticated but since my grandkids love my homemade cheeses, it is a good one for the family lunch when they are over to visit. Try it out and let me know how your family likes it! It is fast and easy and the ingredients are readily available. Here is Julia, one of our very curious goats. Did you know that goats are smarter than dogs? They watch very carefully to see what you are doing and will copy you e.g. open the gate just like you did – if you are not vigilant! They give us such great fresh milk – we are always grateful!
Apple Cheese Pizza
- 1 pizza crust ( you can buy frozen pizza crust or Pepperidge farm in a roll)
- Cooking spray
- 3 cups thinly sliced Fuji apple (about 8 ounces)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled goat cheese ( we make our own – and use the Feta Goat Cheese for this although the Goat Ricotta works well too)
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 3 tablespoons chopped almonds, toasted ( ie fry them in a medium pan with olive oil spray and watch them carefully as they burn fast!)
1. Preheat oven to 450°.
2. Place pizza crust on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Arrange apple slices evenly over pizza crust; top with cheese. Sprinkle thyme evenly over cheese. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes or until cheese melts and begins to brown.
3. Combine oil and next 3 ingredients (through honey) in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add arugula; toss gently to coat. Sprinkle toasted almonds evenly over pizza; top with arugula mixture. Cut pizza into 6 wedges.