Simple Fast Recipe for Tomato Soup
- Two onions chopped medium
- Two cloves of chopped garlic
- Better than Bouillon chicken stock – one tsp for 8oz of hot water – make up about 4 – 6 cups ( use Vegetable Stock if you wish to make this Vegetarian)
- Two boxes of Pomi chopped tomatoes in sauce or about 10 LARGE fresh tomatoes or 20 smaller ones – skins taken off ( put in hot water for 10 minutes – don’t cook – then slip off skins)
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Put about 3 tbsp of olive oil in a pot and heat –
- Add two chopped cloves of garlic – fry for a few minutes.
- Take two whole onions and chop them medium fine.
- Add the onions and sauté until soft.
- Add the fresh tomatoes which you have skinned, OR two boxes of Pomi chopped tomatoes in sauce, and then 4 -6cups of water into which you have added the right amount of chicken bouillon ( I use ‘Better than Bouillon’). If you want this to be vegetarian, use vegetable stock. The kids can do this part.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes, add seasoning salt and pepper to taste
- Puree in a blender ( let it cool a bit before doing this). This is where the children LOVE to taste.
- Serve with home made croutons ( cut up pieces of day old bread, sautéed in olive oil and garlic salt until brown). Of course snacking on these is a must!
- If you don’t want to serve immediately, then freeze in serving portions for 4 people. And don’t add the croutons until you are ready to serve
This is comfort food at its best!
Serves 8 people