I am proud to serve on the Advisory board of TELACU Foundation which serves the Latino/a community nationally but especially in the LA area. I also serve on the board of a Latina businesswoman who runs a Construction company of significant size. My connections and ties to the Latino community in LA goes back 43 years – and I am proud to say that many of my friends in that community and I ‘grew up’ in business together.
Today I participated in a convening of a powerful group of Latino influencers – The Latino Donor Collaborative. Here are some facts that you may or may not know.
- 57 million Hispanics are about 18% of the US population projected to be 1 out of every 3 Americans by 2050 and 24% by 2065.
- The PRESENT purchasing power of the Latino community grew 36% over a five year period to more than $1.5 trillion outpacing national economic growth at 15.6%.
- IF THE LATINO MARKET WERE A COUNTRY IT WOULD BE THE ELEVENTH LARGEST ECONOMY IN THE WORLD
- From 2007-2012 86% of ALL new businesses formed were Latino Owned.
- Latina owned businesses grew by 137% over the past 9 years outpacing ALL OTHER WOMEN ENTREPRENEURS.
And on and on – check out their website for more.www.latinodonorcollaborative.org.
Of my Larraine Segil Scholars – we have one Latina ( more on the way) – here she is below – she won the scholarship when she was in second year law school – then she graduated with flying colors, passed the bar the first time and has two job offers ( working in one right now) with more coming in all the time – we are so proud of her – way to go Tania!
What an exciting time it is to be mentoring women in business – my passion!