This was absolutely delicious. Truly amazing. SOOO many calories ( about 450 a slice) but so worth it. For a special occasion to be sure. I used Keebler’s ready made Shortbread Pie Crust. Short cut to be sure – and their recipe as well which I got from the internet – from their site – and made a number of changes. YUM!
Dulce De Leche Cheesecake
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened* ( I used my own home made ricotta – whole milk but coarse compared to cream cheese – you could also use LOW FAT cream cheese – I tried that too and it came out fine)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon whipping cream or milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 egg
- 1 Keebler® Ready Crust® Shortbread Pie Crust
- In heavy small saucepan combine 1/2 cup cream and brown sugar. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to moderate, steady boil. Boil, uncovered, about 5 minutes or until mixture is reduced to 1/2 cup, stirring occasionally. Stir in sweetened condensed milk. (CHANGE FROM THE RECIPE ON THE KEEBLER SITE: I added the WHOLE can of sweetened condensed milk – since I didnt know what to do with it and reckoned it could not be bad to have more caramel sauce).I then cooked the whole mixture until the sweetened condensed milk became browner. I then FROZE most of the caramel and refrigerated just enough to use on this pie. That worked fine! I actually froze the whole pie since we didn’t want it all – and used it a couple days later (defrosted it in an oven that I had used for baking and so was still a bit warm, with the frozen sauce on the side which also warmed up.) It was amazing!2. In small mixing bowl beat cream cheese, granulated sugar and flour on medium speed of electric mixer until fluffy. Add 1 tablespoon cream, vanilla and peel. Beat until combined. Add egg, beating until just combined.
3. Pour into crust. Place on baking sheet. Drizzle with half of brown sugar mixture. Gently swirl with knife. Bake at 350º F for 30 to 35 minutes or until center is almost set. Cool on wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate at least 4 hours.
4. Before serving, in small saucepan cook and stir remaining brown sugar mixture over low heat until warm. Cut cheesecake into wedges. Drizzle with warm brown sugar mixture.
YIELD: 8 servings
*NOTE: Soften cream cheese in microwave at high for 15 to 20 seconds.