Individual Berry Pies
You can make the filling ahead and refrigerate it for up to five days; bring it to room temperature before using.
Serves 12 (serving size: 1 pie)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 (6-ounce) package raspberries
- 1 (6-ounce) package blueberries ( we grow our own at The Little Farm)
- Cooking spray
- 1 (14.1-ounce) package refrigerated pie dough
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 large egg white
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring mixture to a boil, and cook for 8 minutes or until juices thicken. Pour mixture into a medium bowl; cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; coat paper with cooking spray. Roll 1 dough portion into a 12-inch circle. Cut out 8 (3 1/2-inch) rounds; arrange in a single layer on prepared pan. Reroll scraps; cut out 4 more rounds. Place on pan. Cover dough rounds; refrigerate. Repeat with remaining dough portion for 12 more dough rounds; place on work surface.
- Cut 3 small slits in center of 12 dough rounds on work surface; set aside. Top each with 4 teaspoons filling, leaving a 1/4-inch border. Moisten borders with water using your finger. Place rounds with slits over filling; press edges with a fork to seal. Mix milk and egg white; brush gently over pies.
5. Bake at 450° for 14 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on pan 3 minutes; carefully place pies on a wire rack; cool completely