Our farm manager Max had a wonderful grandmother – Florentina – and this is her recipe. Of course she made this decades ago in Mexico when there were no blenders, and so she ‘pureed’ by rubbing stones together with the mixture inside. Incredibly hard work – but for her family – worth every moment of effort! Max remembers her well – she passed when he was 12 – and he shared this recipe with us.
Mole by Florentina
- 6 Ancho Chiles or Chilis Nuevo Mexico
- Whole head of garlic
- 1 tsp ground Cumin
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 cup of pumpkin seeds ( roasted in a pan on medium heat until browned – be careful as they burn fast!)
- Boil all ingredients except the seeds.
- Then puree it all together.
- Use as a sauce for enchiladas, or on chicken, meat or fish.
Below Nuevo Mexico chili on the left and Ancho Chilis on the right