I love making dishes that last for days and this is one that does. I started this dish late in the afternoon in the slow cooker and before bed put it into the fridge then the next afternoon took it out and finished it off – so easy and delicious!
Short Ribs with Coca Cola!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 8 (6-ounce) bone-in beef short ribs, trimmed ( if serving 8 or depending how large the short ribs are)
- 3/4 cup unsalted beef stock
- 1/3 cup lower-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons grated peeled fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 8 minced garlic cloves
- 1 (12-ounce) can coca cola
- 1 (4 x 1-inch) orange rind strip
- 4 cups (1-inch) diagonally cut carrot
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 cups diagonally cut snow peas
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil; swirl to coat. Add half of beef to pan; cook 10 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Remove beef from pan; place in a 6-quart electric slow cooker. Repeat procedure with remaining 1 tablespoon oil and beef. Add stock and next 9 ingredients (through rind) to slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours or until beef is very tender. Carefully remove beef from pan; keep warm.
- Skim fat from surface of cooking liquid; discard fat. Strain the cooking liquid into a large saucepan; bring to a simmer. Add carrot to pan; cook 20 minutes or until carrot is almost done. Combine 1/4 cup water and cornstarch, stirring with a whisk. Add cornstarch mixture to pan; bring to a boil. Stir in peas; cook 2 minutes.
- Put the whole mixture back into the slow cooker and let simmer on high for half hour.
- Place 1 short rib in each of 8 shallow bowls. Ladle 1/2 cup sauce and vegetables over each serving; sprinkle evenly with cilantro.