Meatballs and Rice – Cooking with Kids – a weekly staple
Meatballs and Rice – Cooking with Kids
Here is my grandson Jonah helping me make meatballs for dinner. He is meticulous – four years old – and already has decided he is going to be an artist and a chef. OKAY! Sounds good to me!
Meatballs and Rice
- 1 lb of organic ground beef
- 1 chopped onion
- Garlic salt to taste
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup of Ketchup
- 1 can of tomatoes in puree
- Chicken or Beef stock ( Better than Bouillon)
- Grated parmesan for finish
- Twig of parsley or cilantro for garnish
- Roll the mixture into small balls and then coat with flour and set aside
- Heat the olive oil in a pan (one tbsp)
- Add the chopped onion and saute until translucent
- Add the meatballs and saute until browned.
- Set the browned balls aside and add a can of tomatoes in puree along with 2 cups of beef or chicken stock ( I use Better than Bouillon) until it comes to a boil, using a little flour mixed with some of the liquid to thicken.
- Add the balls back to the mixture and simmer for about 20 minutes until the liquid has reduced and the gravy is thicker.
- In the meantime, cook the rice as directed on the package – OR – fry some onion in the second tablespoon of olive oil, in a pot, add the rinsed uncooked rice and saute for a few moments, then add stock bring to a boil, then allow to simmer until all the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is tender to your liking. I only do this for adults since my grandchildren like their rice unsullied by any vegetables. Sigh.
- Serve the meatballs, sauce and rice – and sprinkle some parmesan grated on the top with a twig of parsley or cilantro for decoration. Yum!