Making a meal in one dish is so appealing – less to clean up and easy to serve too. Using ground chicken in this dish with the spices makes the rather bland taste of ground chicken pop!This is a Mexican flavored chili dish. We do not like spicy stuff but if you do you can replace the chilis below with jalapenos which will up the ‘burn’ factor significantly! I have made this when cooking with kids – and it works well! Of course you need to do the ‘hot’ stuff.
- 1 cup of chopped white/yellow onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups ground chicken
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans ready-cut diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans or 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 (8 3/4 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies, drained ( this is where the spicy among us will insert jalapenos)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
The kids can do Step 3 and 4 under your supervision
- Cook onion and garlic in oil in large saucepan until translucent. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Fry the ground chicken until cooked ( you could use ground beef if you wish).
- Add back the onions and garlic and then add the taco seasoning, tomatoes, beans, corn and chilies.
- Blend broth and cornstarch until there are no more lumps and add to the mixture
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes; stirring occasionally.
- Serve with french bread that has been buttered with some garlic salt and placed under the broiler to brown slightly, or cornbread ( you can bake it from a mix or just buy it fresh)