I love this recipe. It works for me when I am watching my weight. ( I seem to ALWAYS be watching my weight – you too?)
- 1 pound wild salmon, skin-on, cut into 4 equal portions
- 1/4 cup white miso (available at Amazon or Asian, gourmet markets)
- 1/2 cup mirin ( I bought this on line from Amazon Fresh who deliver in my area)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 scallion, green parts only, thinly sliced
In a small bowl, combine miso, mirin, garlic and ginger. I put mine into a small pan and heated it gently then allowed it to cool completely.. This last step is not necessary but I think it did blend the flavors nicely.
- Pour 1/4 of the marinade in a shallow dish or glass pie plate, place fish flesh-side down, and top with remaining marinade. Place in refrigerator and allow to marinade at least 6 hours or up to overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking.
- Preheat oven to broil high. Transfer fish to a sheet pan lined with foil.
- Discard excess marinade. ( This is important as it will be too salty – believe me – I know as I didn’t do it well the first time!)
- Place fish on the second rack from the top and broil 6-7 minutes, or until fish flakes easily with a fork. If you wish to serve the fish without the skin, carefully slide a fish spatula between the skin and flesh.
- Top with scallions and serve.