This is adapted from a James Beard Recipe. Higher amounts of sugar make the bread more moist. I left out the walnuts and the liquor since we prefer our bread without both.
Persimmon Bread Little Farm Style
3½ cups sifted flour
1½ teaspoons salt
2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 to 2½ cups sugar
1 cup melted unsalted butter and cooled to room temperature
4 large eggs, at room temperature, lightly beaten
3 cups persimmon puree (from about 5 squishy-soft Hachiya persimmons)
2 cups raisins, or diced dried fruits (such as apricots, cranberries, or dates)
- Butter 2 loaf pans. Line the bottoms with a piece of parchment paper or dust with flour and tap out any excess.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift the first 5 dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Make a well in the center then stir in the butter, eggs, persimmon puree then the raisins.
- Bake 1 hour or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.