This sounds crazy but it works! If you decide at the last minute to make prime rib – you need 2.5 hours! However if you were going to defrost the meat you would need at least a day! So I decided to try this out and it worked! It was delicious and as you can see – not too rare or too over cooked. A miracle!
Prime Rib Roast from Freezer to Oven to Table
- A 4 lb standing rib roast
- Seasoning that you like -I use Max’ s seasoning which was in an earlier post or you could mix herbs plus kosher salt, paprika and brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 450 to 500 degrees
- Remove roast from freezer.
- Discard plastic cover, run under cool water and lightly wipe with clean cloth.
- Rub roast with any rub —
- Get a medium sheet pan and add a rack to it.
- Place the roast on the rack and put in the oven for 25-30 minutes. Keep an eye on it every 10 minutes because it’s going to get hot. You want a dark-brown crust to surround the meat. Don’t open the door; use the oven light to check it. Wait for the wonderful smell, about 20 minutes.
- After about 30 minutes, turn down the heat to 250-300 degrees, and keep cooking it for about 20-25 minutes per pound for rare and 30-35 minutes per pound for medium.
- A 4-pounder would cook for about 2 hours.
- Once it’s done, turn the oven off, remove the roast and let it rest for 15-20 minutes before cutting into it. ENJOY!