Slow cookers seemed to be made for cooking beans, tomatoes, rice or quinoa or grains of any kind. I made this gluten free for a young friend who was going to be visiting and it came out so well that I wanted to share it with you. Actually I made a mistake and put in 1/2 cup of couscous by mistake and then added a 1/2 cup of quinoa – and frankly it made it divine! Enjoy!
Slow Cooker Quinoa Couscous Chicken in the Slow Cooker
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs ( breasts are ok but tougher and dryer)
- 2 Tbsp oil oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 large leek chopped ( whites and light green only)
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup of couscous
- 3 pound large sweet potatoes ~3-1/2 cups
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can of pinto beans
- 1 large can fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp Chili
- 1 Tbsp Paprika
- 7 cups chicken broth*
- Optional: fresh parsley
- Saute the onion, garlic, leeks until translucent.
- Add the chicken thighs cut into pieces and saute for a few minutes
- Add all to the slow cooker along with the rinsed quinoa and couscous.;
- Remove the skins and chop the sweet potatoes into cubes adding them into the slow cooker.
- Drain and rinse the black and pinto beans and add those in. Add in the undrained tomatoes, chili and paprika powder, and chicken broth.
- Place on high for 3-5 hours (It took 4 hours on high for my crockpot.)
- Using two forks, shred the chicken and stir all the ingredients together.
- Add salt and pepper and if desired fresh parsley.
- Serve immediately