I searched for the best recipe for Persimmon Bread and found one by James Beard, the famous chef. Then I changed it to suit the RockinGrandmaMusic tastes – ie took out the cognac and replaced it with orange juice ( forgot to mention that in the video BTW so be sure to check the recipe too!) and also reduced the amount of sugar by 1/2 cup – even though my intent on the video was to put more in – I tasted it and it tasted sweet enough since our Persimmons were incredibly ripe – and finally left out the nuts – personal taste – I love nuts but not in cooked food! So here is the recipe – and the video and pics of the preparation and cooking process as well as the result too. I dare you to eat just one piece!!! Here is the link to the video.
3 1/2 cups of sifted flour
1 1/2 tsp of salt
2 tsp of baking soda
1 tsp of ground nutmeg
2 to 2 and 1/2 cups of sugar ( I only used 2 cups)
1 cup of melted unsalted butter cooled to room temperature
4 large eggs beaten lightly
2/3 cup of orange juice
2 cups of persimmon puree
2 cups of raisins ( or dried cranberries and raisins mixed)
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter and flour loaf pans or one large oblong cake pan and shake off the excess flour. Or you can line the pans with parchment.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together.
- Make a well and pour the wet ingredients into the hole.
- Add the raisin mixture -and mix it all well.
- Pour into the pans and bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool, cut into pieces and serve -YUM!