We love minestrone – but this one was the best ever as we cooked it in the slow cooker. Enjoy!
Crock Pot/Slow Cooker Minestrone Soup ( Low in Calories too – about 200 calories for 2 cups)
- 1 (15 oz) can white beans, drained, rinsed (cannellini or navy)
- 32 oz container reduced sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt and fresh black pepper
- 1 medium 8 oz zucchini, diced
- 2 cups chopped fresh (or frozen defrosted) spinach
- parmesan cheese for garnish (optional – leave out to be vegan)
- Puree beans with 1 cup of the broth in a blender.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the carrots, celery, onion, garlic and saute until tender and fragrant, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer to the crock pot along with the remaining broth, tomatoes, pureed beans, salt and pepper. A
- Add the rosemary, basil and parsley, cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Forty minutes before the soup is done cooking, add zucchini and spinach.
- Cover and cook 30 more minutes.
- Remove bay leaves, rosemary sprig, parmesan rind and season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Ladle 1-1/4 cups soup into 8 bowls and top with extra parmesan cheese if desired if not vegan