Tilapia baked with Tomatoes and Herbs
When I am tired at the end of a long day, I look for a fast tasty dish to make. This one is great since its healthy and fast. I like to cook the fish in the oven not the microwave, since that gives the brown rice time to cook properly. If you cant be bothered to wait that extra 20 minutes for the rice, use the microwave for the fish and instant rice for the side. The cilantro adds a lovely contrast and Mexican touch to this dish – but some people do not care for it. Remember you are the boss in your kitchen so you can add or subtract ingredients as you wish! The photos are of the brown rice, with the fish, sauce and vegetables on it, a delicious one course meal.
16 ounces of any fish ( tilapia, tuna, halibut, salmon)
Chopped tomatoes ( about 6)
Chopped Onion ( 1 large)
Chopped Chives 1/4 Cup
Olive oil 4 tbsp
Juice of one lemon ( remove pits)
Paprika (1 tbsp)
Chopped garlic (2 cloves)
Cilantro ( optional -only if you like it)
Salt and pepper to taste
Brown Rice 1 cup
Chicken Stock ( Better than Bouillon is great)
Water to make up the chicken stock
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- Chop onion and garlic and saute in 2 tablespoons of olive oil for a few minutes until translucent.
- Add the spices and mix for a minute; add tomatoes and chives.
- Pour half the mixture into a ceramic serving dish that will fit into a microwave and add the fish cut into four serving pieces; pour the rest of the sauce on the mixture.
- Place in the microwave on medium for about 5-7 minutes until the fish flakes easily and tastes cooked. OR you could place the dish in the regular oven at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until bubbling and fish flakes easily and is cooked.
- While the fish is cooking, fry the chopped shallots in another 2 tablespoons of olive oil until translucent.
- Add the brown rice and fry for 30 seconds, then add chicken stock mixed with water ( use the right amount of water to cook the amount of rice you are making as indicated on the rice packet).
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 30 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed and rice is soft and cooked.
- Take the dish with the fish out of the oven, and sprinkle chopped cilantro on top if you like it. and serve with steamed white rice.