Did I tell you how much I love my crockpot? I really do – it’s sooo easy to use.
So today I made Veal Tomato Stew -easy, healthy, and fast! We put on some upbeat weird music for this one – since my grandsons helped me – called Monsters in My Room! Way to go Grandma!
- 3 lbs of lean veal stewing meat cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/4 cup of flour
- 2 Tbsp of Olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of fresh herbs – I like oregano chopped finely ( or you can used dried if that is all you have)
- 1 can of tomatoes in puree – or home made tomato sauce about 16 ounces
- 1 sweet potato and 1 yam
- 4 medium sized carrots
- About 16 ounces of chicken stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Season the meat with the salt, pepper and herbs. Kids love to do this.
- Dredge the meat pieces in the flour. Kids do this but with wonderful expressions on their faces with the consistency of the stickiness!
- Heat the oil in a frying pan until medium hot – this part you have to do!
- Saute the meat covered with flour until light brown on all sides and when done place the pieces into a slow cooker.
- Clean the carrots and potatoes and cut into bite sized pieces.
- Add the potatoes and carrots into the slow cooker
- Add the tomato sauce mixed with puree.
- Add the chicken stock – until all the ingredients are covered but no more – no need to use all the stock if not needed.
- Place the cooker on high and give the contents one big stir – and off you go to your day’s activities. When you come home the house will smell wonderful! I like to leave it on high for 6 hours or low for 10 or so.
- You can serve this with basmati rice, simmered in chicken stock until tender or cooked in a rice cooker which does all the work for you and keeps it warm! ENJOY!