Kay and John married – surrounded by grandkids, children, siblings and friends – what a gorgeous wedding. Exactly as one would dream about!
And now as we hope and wait for rain – here is a great rainy day recipe! Enjoy – this recipe is for two people since we are empty nesters – and works well in a slow cooker or even in the oven
- 1/2 lb eye of round roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, cut into wedges
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour (gluten-free)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon apple juice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 whole allspice
- 1 whole clove
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 1 apple, peeled and cut into chunks
- Brown beef in butter over medium heat.
- Add onions; cook until lightly browned.
- Sprinkle with flour and salt.
- Gradually add water and apple juice.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Place the bay leaf, allspice, and clove in a cheesecloth bag; add to slow cooker ( or pot).
- Turn to high if you want to eat in 4 hours and low if you want to eat in 6-8 hours, cover and cook in the slow cooker until meat is almost tender.
- Add carrots and apples; cover and cook until meat, carrots, and apples are tender. This will probably be about 3/4 way through the cooking process.
- Discard spice bag and thicken with additional flour if desired.
And here is the stew BEFORE the carrots and apples are added