We are still enjoying the cold weather – and hoping for more rain!! WHOHOO! California needs every drop!
Soup is the best meal. Here is a recipe from a friend – more like a chili, or stew or really thick soup – Thank you Jackie and Stephen – they are both amazing chefs! YUM! (They made it for 80 people – seriously – so here are the amounts for all size groups.)
SICILIAN TOMATO, SAUSAGE & FARRO SOUP by Jackie and Stephen
8 32 64 80
- 1 LB 4 LB 8 LB 10LB Sweet Italian Sausage – (I use chicken or turkey sausage)
- 1 Large 4 Lg 8 Lg 10Lg Chopped Onion
- 2 Cans 8 Cans 16 Cans 20 Cans Chopped Italian Tomatoes (35oz) (Chop finer)
- 4 Cans 12 Cans 24 Cans 30 Cans Broth (13 ¾ ea)
- 2 Tsp 8 Tsp 16 Tsp 20 Tsp Basil leaf crumbled
- 1 Cup 4 Cups 8 Cups 10 Cups Farro ( can us Orzo if desired)
- ½ Tsp 2 Tsp 4 Tsp 5 Tsp Salt
- ¼ Tsp 1 Tsp 2 Tsp 3 Tsp Pepper
- Cook the sausage in a large saucepan, breaking up until pink color disappears.
- Saute onions in pan until soft.
- Add tomatoes, broth and basil, bring to boil.
- Stir in farro, salt & pepper.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until Orzo is tender.
- Add more aalt & pepper to taste.
- Can serve with grated Parmesan cheese.
Truly delicious! Enjoy