Today I had lunch at Spago in Beverly Hills, Los Angeles. It was delicious. And Wolfgang Puck was there mixing with the folks and commenting on his recipes and restaurant empire. I ordered his signature dish – I always do ( unless I order his lobster salad which is divine – but both are so substantial that only one can be ordered per meal!). Here is the recipe for you from him with my ‘make it easy’ modifications! ENJOY!
- 6 ounces Pizza Dough (Wolfgang makes his own – I cheated – and used a frozen pizza dough – easier, and quicker – sorry Wolfie but few of us are even close to your standard of perfection and in this case – just fine – will do!)
- 1 tablespoon Chili and Garlic Oil (again here I made it easy – and added chopped or minced garlic to regular olive oil, along with one chopped chili medium hot without seeds and let them sit for a few hours overnight – this can be used over and over again and will keep for weeks )
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 tablespoons Dill Cream made with:
- 1 1/2 cups Sour cream ( I used non fat – lower in calories)
- 3 tablespoons Minced shallots
- 2 tablespoons Fresh dill leaves, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Freshly ground white pepper
- 2 1/2 ounces thinly sliced smoked salmon
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon Sevruga caviar, optional ( or use another kind of fish roe that is less expensive)
Instructions for Pizza with Smoked Salmon and Caviar Recipe
- Place a pizza stone on the middle rack of the oven and preheat the oven to 500°F.( available from Cutleryandmore.com under kitchen supply/pizza stones -and it runs about $30 – and is really worth it)
- On a lightly floured surface, stretch or roll out the dough into an 8- inch circle, with the outer edge a little thicker than the inner circle. Brush the dough with the oil and arrange the onions over the pizza. Slide a pizza paddle or rimless baking sheet under the pizza and then slide the pizza onto the pizza stone. Bake until the crust is golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes.
- With the pizza paddle or a large spatula, carefully remove the pizza from the oven and set it on a cutting board. Use a knife, an icing spatula, or the back of a spoon to spread the Dill Cream over the inner circle. Arrange the slices of salmon so that they cover the entire pizza, slightly overlapping the raised rim. Sprinkle the chopped chives over the salmon. Using a pizza cutter or a large sharp knife, cut the pizza into 4 or 6 slices. If you like, spoon a little caviar in the center of each slice. Serve immediately.