Most salads are either raw or cooked. This one is a bit of each. I love onions especially when they are cooked and caramelized. And fresh summer heirloom tomatoes are so sweet that they have their own natural sugary taste. This is a most unusual salad – and you will love it!
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
3 large red onions sliced into three or four thick slices each ( this makes about 1.5-2lbs of onion)
3 Tbsp of olive oil
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
3 large heirloom tomatoes cored and cut into 3-4 thick slices
20 fresh basil leaves chopped coarsely
1 Tbsp of Balsamic vinegar ( Modena’s is the best)
1. Heat the broiler to 500degrees
2. Place the thick slices of onion on a foil lined baking pan
3. Brush with olive oil on both sides as well as salt and pepper to taste
4. Place under the broiler ( not too close) and watch carefully! This is NOT the time to leave the kitchen or take a phone call!
5. After about 7 minutes turn the onions and broil the other side for about the same time until beginning to char or brown. DON’T LET THEM BURN!!
6. Remove from heat, cut into smaller pieces and place into your salad bowl, using a fork to separate the layers of onion.
7. Add the tomatoes, basil and salt and pepper to taste, as well as the olive oil and vinegar
8. I like lots of dressing so might add a bit more olive oil and vinegar ( 3 to 1) at this time.
9. Serve with hot garlic bread ( SOOOO easy check out the recipe for that). This serves 3-4 people so double it if you are having a larger crowd.