This cooked in the crockpot all day and the house smelled amazing! It is also ideal when cooking with kids as they can add all the ingredients to the frying pan while you add the hot stuff to the crockpot.
- 6 Chicken Breasts skinless and boneless cut into bite sized pieces
- 6 Chicken Thighs skinless and boneless cut into bite sized pieces
- Olive oil as needed ( about 1/4 cup)
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar firmly packed
- 1/3 cup of red wine vinegar – or to taste
- 1 lb of dried figs cut into small pieces
- 16 ounces of olives pitted and halved
- 16 ounces of capers -drained
- 16 ounces of sun dried tomatoes ( drained of all oil and cut into pieces)
- 4 quarts of chicken stock
- 1/2 bottle of dry white wine
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Corn starch for thickening gravy – about 4 tablespoons or as needed (personal preference – I like thicker gravies)
- Heat the oil in a large pan until hot not smoking
- Salt the chicken pieces and brown them in the pan –
- TIP: Don’t let the pieces touch – they will not brown well if you do. Do this in batches.
- Place the browned pieces into the slow cooker/crockpot. Continue until all batches are done.
- Reduce the heat and add the garlic to the pan – fry for one minute, do not let it burn!
- Add the white wine and simmer
- Add the figs, tomatoes, capers, olives, sugar, wine vinegar and stock – and bring to a boil. Taste and add more vinegar or sugar as preferred.
- Reduce the liquid to about half on high
- Add the whole mixture to the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours.
- In the last hour add 2-4 tablespoons of corn flour to a 1/4 cup of the hot liquid until there are no more lumps, then slowly add to the slow cooker and let it cook for another hour until the liquid/gravy has thickened to your taste.
- Serve with steamed or fried rice – and a green salad! YUM!