Wok cooking is easy and very fast. This is standard fare for us – I basically throw into the wok anything I have around with some protein staple like ground beef or chicken or turkey. It is a healthy way to cook and dinner will be on the table in 10 minutes at most. Great when you have had a long week and just want to fall into bed but have a table full of hungry small people who need dinner along with another tired adult!
6 Yukon potatoes peeled and chopped fairly small
2 tbsp of paprika
1/4 cup of fresh hulled peas
2 tbsp olive oil or pam spray
salt and pepper to taste
1 lb of Ground beef (lean)
Italian parsley for decoration
Optional sweet Thai Chile sauce 2 tbsp
One large white or yellow onion chopped
Two cloves of garlic chopped small
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a hot wok.
- Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds
- Add onion and saute until translucent.
- Add the paprika and blend well.
- While this is cooking, put the chopped potatoes into boiling hot water and bring back to a boil for about 5 minutes until al dente ( almost tender).
- Then drain the potatoes well, and toss them into the mixture in the wok.
- Add salt and pepper and cook until well blended and the potatoes cook until nearly soft ( but not soft yet).
- Add the peas and toss together for about 3 minutes.
- Remove the whole mixture and set aside.
- Add to the empty wok another tbsp of olive oil, and heat.
- Add the ground beef which you must crumble with a fork until well distributed across the wok.
- Brown the beef until cooked ( but not overcooked – I like my meat rare so I brown it until medium rare or slightly pink).
- Add back into the wok, the vegetable mixture and mix well together.
- Put the lid on the wok and let it cook on medium heat for about another 5 minutes until the potatoes are tender and the mixture is blended.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve with a salad ( see Salad section)