We grow our own citrus as well as allspice, cilantro and chili’s. And we raise our own honey from bee hives on our Little Farm. So this salad is a very special one that we like to use all year round. It is refreshing and the citrus dressing is surprising.
- 1/2 cup unsweetened orange juice (or 3/8 cup lime juice with 2 tablespoons rice vinegar)
- 1 small garlic clove, smashed peeled and finely minced
- 1-2 chilies, chopped
- A pinch allspice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoons cilantro coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 jicama, peeled and cut into thin slices ( you can buy this already cut up in some markets)
- 2-3 oranges (or other citrus)
- 1 red onion, peeled rinsed and thinly sliced
- 1 yellow sweet pepper, seeded and thinly sliced (optional)
- Combine all of the dressing components 15 to 30 minutes before serving.
- Arrange the salad in a bowl or serving plater.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad to cover.
- Serve cool, but not overly chilled for the best flavor.