We love potatoes – and we grow them at The Little Farm. Our favorite is Yukon gold – along with sweet potatoes and yams.
Here is a very simple recipe which you can make with kids. Our grandchildren like to plop the cut potatoes into a big bowl of cold water while waiting for them all to be peeled and quartered – and of course, for the hot water to boil. Here is Jonah snacking on carrots while helping.
- 6 yukon Gold potatoes peeled and cut into quarters
- 1 sweet potato – peeled and cut into thick slices (you will need a sharp knife they are thick and difficult to cut)
- 1 yam – peeled and cut into thick slices
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1/4 cup of milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped parsley for serving – optional
- Boil water with a dash of salt ( will make it boil faster) and then add all the potatoes being careful not to burn yourself from splashing water!
- Boil until soft then drain through a colander.
- Add to a cuisinart unless you like your mashed potatoes chunky in which case you can use a hand masher ( good exercise too!)
- Add the butter and milk – you can add more as you prefer to get the consistency of mashed potatoes that your family likes. We like it smooth!
- Add salt and pepper to taste
Serve with a little chopped parsley sprinkled on top ( optional)