Here is a fabulous recipe for my very favorite approach to cooking – the crockpot. But instead of using a tough or less expensive piece of meat I am using New York steak or even Filet Mignon. Here are my two junior chefs having a snack while I get things ready for our cooking session.
2 New York Sreaks or Filet Mignon steaks
1 (8 ounce) packet onion soup mix
1 (8 ounce) packets brown gravy mix
3 cups water
2 cups peeled sweet potatoes cut into slices
1 cup baby carrots
1 medium onion
2 cloves of fresh garlic chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
I cup of sliced fresh mushrooms with stems discarded Salt, pepper, paprika as desired
Have the little ones hold your hand while you cut and chop the onions, meat, garlic, mushrooms. They can also put stuff into the crockpot when ready – and stir it. Kids love stirring stuff – and expect it to be messy. I always put paper towels around the surface of whatever I am stirring ( or they are stirring) for easy clean up.
- Heat olive oil in a pan and saute garlic for a few minutes then remove to crockpot.
- Add onion to pan and saute until translucent.
- Add mushrooms to pan and sauté until soft.
- Add the whole mixture to the crockpot.
- In the meantime place vegetables in glass dish in microwave with some water and cook until to al dente ( not soft) 10- 20 minutes , drain excess water and add to crockpot
- In crock pot add steaks cut into bitesized pieces and onion soup to the onion garlic mushroom mix.
- Whisk brown gravy and water in bowl then pour over steak mixture add salt pepper and paprika and gently mix. When vegetables are ready add to pot.
- Cover on high and cook. It takes around 1/12 hours for medium steak.
This is divine! serve with butternut squash which you have roasted in it’s skin in the oven at 350 degrees for an hour or until tender then scraped out without seeds and skin and mashed with butter and served hot. Yum!