I love cherry tomatoes and this dish combines them with asparagus. Very good and fairly low calorie too! The kids were not crazy about it – but the adults loved it!
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups halved grape tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons crumbled goat cheese ( we make our own – if you want a lower calorie version as I did – I left off the cheese and it was still wonderful)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Cook asparagus in boiling water 2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add tomatoes and garlic; cook 5 minutes. Stir in vinegar; cook 3 minutes. Stir in salt. Arrange asparagus on a platter; top with tomato mixture. Sprinkle with cheese and pepper.
- Alternate recipe – which is what I did since I had run out of time and had a ton of other things to do before dinner – I threw everything into the pan – the tomatoes, the vinegar, the garlic ( I added some sliced onion as well as chopped chives as I had some in the fridge as we love those roasted too) and the salt and pepper. Put it into the oven and it was divine!