I adapted this recipe from COOKING LIGHT – my favorite magazine – to accommodate those who do not like eating cheese and chicken together. And my grandkids will eat this – but tend to eat the strawberries first, then the chicken then the cheese – and no lettuce – oh well – I do not care what order they eat it in, just that they get all the food groups! Below is some of the Queso Blanco that I make from our goats milk – delicious!
Chicken Strawberry Salad
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups any kind of lettuce – Boston, Romaine
- 4 cups arugula
- 2 cups quartered strawberries
- 1/3 cup vertically sliced red onion
- 12 ounces skinless, boneless rotisserie chicken breast, sliced
- 2 tablespoons almonds which you have salted and browned in one tablespoon of butter ( if you are adding cheese you should not salt the almonds – if no cheese – the salt adds tang)
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled blue cheese ( optional – some folks do not like eating cheese with chicken – so omit this if you are one of those!)
1. To prepare dressing, combine first 3 ingredients in a small bowl. Gradually drizzle in oil, stirring constantly with a whisk.
2. To prepare salad, combine lettuce and next 4 ingredients (through chicken) in a bowl; toss gently. Place about 2 cups chicken mixture on each of 4 plates. Top each serving with 1 1/2 teaspoons almonds and 2 tablespoons cheese if you are using cheese. Drizzle about 4 teaspoons dressing over each serving.