Chili in the slow cooker is one of my favorite things to make – soooo easy! I tried out this recipe and after a few experiments found a way to make it truly exceptional! ENJOY!
Little Farm Slow Cooker Chili ( serves about 14)
- 8 tbsp of chili powder
- 5 tsp ground coriander
- 5 tsp ground cumin powder
- 5 tsp paprika
- 3 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper ( I left this out as we don’t like stuff spicy)
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 3 lbs of ground beef ( or ground turkey or chicken)
- 2 large cloves of garlic chopped fine
- 2 large onions chopped small
- 1 28 can of roasted tomatoes in sauce – chop the tomatoes small
- 1 can of kidney beans
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 can of lima beans
- 1 can of pinto beans
- 1-2 cups of chicken stock
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Mix together the seasoning mix and place aside
- In a large skillet heat the oil then saute the ground beef until no longer pink – remove,drain reserving the liquid if any, and put the browned meat into the slow cooker.
- Add garlic to the skillet and saute for a minute then add the onion and saute until translucent and soft.
- Add half of the seasoning and mix well so that the onions and garlic are completely coated
- In the meantime take the black beans and the red beans along with their liquid and puree in a blender – reserve on the side until ready to use.
- Add the tomatoes from the can which have been chopped into the skillet and heat gently.
- Mix the drained liquid if any from the ground beef with the 1 cup of chicken stock and add to the mixture and mix gently ( reserve the other cup of chicken stock in case the chili mixture is too thick)
- Pour the whole mixture over the ground beef in the crockpot and mix well.
- Add another 2 tbsp of the seasoning mix and mix
- Add the pureed beans and mix well
- Taste the mixture – if it is not spicy enough you can add more seasoning mix ( you have a few tbsp left)
- Make sure to taste for added salt and pepper
- Stir well and then finally drain the other beans, and add them – mixing very gently so as not to break the beans.
- Turn the slow cooker on low and cook for 4 hours then on high for the last hour.
- Serve with grated cheese, chopped onions and low fat sour cream