During the summer months our goats are milking – they are pregnant right now and will give birth after a 5 month gestation period in about May – then after about 12 weeks when we wean the babies ( kids) we start using their milk. This is one of my favorite things to do – make a chevre covered pastry and bake. I love it! You will too!
Baked Chevre with Chives in Pastry
- 8 ounces of Goat Chevre ( we make our own!)
- 1 frozen pie pastry
- 6 Chopped Chives
- Salt to taste
- Mix the chevre with the chopped chives and a little salt to taste.
- Roll out the pastry into a thick flat disc
- Place the chevre inside the disc and smooth it into a flat log down the middle of the pastry.
- Fold the pastry over the flat log and pinch to join the edges ( or wet your fingers a bit and pinch the dough)
- Brush with egg yolk to get that lovely brown color.
- Bake at 375 or whatever the pastry instructions are – the chevre really doesn’t need cooking – its the pastry you are cooking.
- Remove and let cool a little ( as the cheese will be soft and HOT).
- Serve with a green salad for a lovely Saturday or Sunday lunch.