Chicken Tortilla Soup Little Farm Style ( short cut) – and do be sure to put on music – try the Tickle Me song this time!
Ingredients ( this will serve 4-6)
- 1 tablespoon butter ( it does make a difference to the taste of the onion)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 cup of broccoli florets cut into smaller florets
- 1 cup of baby carrots chopped into three pieces each
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 (14-ounce) can chicken broth or reconstituted Better Than Bouillon
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 medium sized flour tortillas, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onion; sauté until translucent.
- Stir in vegetables; cook 9-10 minutes or until soft
- Add chicken pieces and cook for another 5-8 minutes until cooked
- Skim the top of the water in case there is any foam that has collected there from the fresh vegetables
- While this is cooking mix the water, flour, and chicken broth.
- Gradually stir broth mixture into chicken mixture and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in tortilla strips, and cook 2 minutes or until tortilla strips soften.
- Remove from heat; stir in parsley. Serve immediately.
OK this is not the traditional tortilla soup – ie broccoli, carrots and tortilla strips don’t really make it traditional – but we like it and it is low cal – you can vary the vegetables of course – we just happen to like broccoli and carrots!