Last night I made this dish. The only change I would make is to use Chicken thighs as well as breasts – we like dark meat – but other than that – it was delicious.
|1||lb skinless chicken breasts ( we would use half lb of thighs and half pound of breasts)|
|3||tablespoons curry powder|
|1||small onion, chopped|
|1||tablespoon yellow mustard seeds|
|1/4||teaspoon ground cloves ( this is to taste – we don’t like cloves so I left this out – your choice)|
|1||(15 ounce) can Del Monte crushed tomatoes with mild green chilies ( if you don’t have these, use plain chopped tomatoes in a can instead – I like Pomi brand)|
|1||(15 ounce) can reduced-sodium chicken broth ( I use Better than Bouillon which is not low sodium and it was just fine)|
|1||cup dried sweetened cranberries ( I used a combination of Golden Raisins and Cranberries because I ran out of Cranberries and it was yummy and pretty too!)|
|1||tablespoon minced ginger ( I used 2 tsp of ground ginger and 2 tsp of chopped candied ginger because that was all I had)|
|2 tbsp.of Olive Oil ( or Olive oil spray to save some calories) and 1/4 teaspoon salt to taste|
- Use a generous spray ( or two Tbsp of cooking oil in a large sized pot.
- Cut the chicken into small cubes and add them into pot with 1 teaspoon of curry powder.
- Cook on medium-high heat until brown stirring frequently. (5-10 minutes).
- Transfer to bowl or plate.
- Add butter, onion and mustard seeds to pot and cook until seeds pop and onion browns. (2-5 minutes).
- Return chicken to pot.
- Sprinkle remaining curry and cloves to pot and cover chicken.
- Stir in tomatoes, broth, cranberries, ginger and salt.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until chicken is cooked. (10-20 minutes).
- Add water if needed.
- Serve over jasmine basmati or brown rice.
Here is a picture of Curry – such a great smell!