Easy Gluten Free Tamale Casserole
Made with gluten-free cornbread mix, this is a great recipe to make with kids (no knives needed so even younger ones can help), and you’ll have leftovers. Round out your meal with a big green salad. Yes it is high in calories ( 500 per serving) but what tamale pie isnt?
- 1 pound ground beef
1 (15-ounce) can ranchero beans
1 jar medium salsa
1 (12-ounce) box gluten-free corn bread and muffin mix
1 1/3 cups low fat buttermilk
1/4 cup sugar (optional)
6 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
1 (4-ounce) can diced mild green chiles (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large sauté pan, brown meat, breaking up any large pieces.
- Drain well and return to stove.
- Add beans and salsa, stir to combine and simmer over medium heat 5 to 7 minutes. Let cool slightly then spoon into a 9×12-inch casserole dish.
- Prepare cornbread batter according to package directions, using the remaining ingredients above.
- If desired, mix drained green chilies into batter.
- Carefully spoon over top of beef mixture.
- Smooth out to cover.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes until cornbread is lightly brown and filling is bubbling.