Ok I must admit – I took the short cuts on this one. But its SOO easy to make a pie when you use a ready made pie crust. And there are lots of really good ones on the market. You will need to try a few – and see which ones you like the best. Once you have that, its a matter of obtaining fresh mulberries – we grow them so its easy to do for us – however other kinds of berries work fine too (like Blackberries or Blueberries). With vanilla icecream or even low cal whipped cream, you will enjoy every mouthful.
Preparation Time: One hour
Cooking Time: 45 minutes ( or whatever it says on the package of the pie crust)
3 cups of cleaned berries ( I use mulberries and snip off their stems)
1 1/4 cups white sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 – 9 inch double crust pie
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon milk
1 egg, lightly beaten for the finish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, mix berries with sugar and flour. Place mixture into bottom pie crust. Dot with butter and then cover with top pie crust. Crimp edges, cut slits in upper crust, and brush with lightly beaten egg. Let pie rest in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- OR ( as depicted in the picture above), for a more sophisticated look – thaw the frozen top crust until the dough is pliable. Then cut the dough into strips and braid them across the berry filled lower crust. Use the lightly beaten egg to brush the strips of crust, that will make them a nice light brown color when baking.
- Bake pie in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Lower oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and bake for an additional 30 minutes. Remove pie from oven and let sit on wire rack until cool.
- Serve with vanilla ice-cream, or low cal cream. Yum!