Here is a super recipe for a summer lunch or starter dinner salad. Of course you need some fun music to cook with – try “Monsters in my room”.
- 5 yellow peaches
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 (6-oz.) package baby arugula, thoroughly washed
- 1 head of Romaine Lettuce
- 2 cups of chopped feta, drained from the brine
- Garnish: fresh cilantro sprigs
1. Peel and chop 1 peach. Cut remaining 4 peaches into 8 equal pieces each and discard pits. Your kids can do this if you hold the knife and they hold your hand!
2. Process chopped peach, green onions, next 5 ingredients, in a food processor 10 to 15 seconds or until smooth. Add oil, and pulse 3 to 4 times or until thoroughly combined. Kids love to press the on and off buttons on the food processor. Be sure the top is on tight!
5. Arrange romaine leaves evenly on 4 plates. Lay the sliced peaches on the lettuce and then sprinkle the chopped feta over it. Sprinkle with the baby arugula so that the peach/feta mixture peaks out and is not completely covered. Drizzle with peach dressing and add chopped cilantro for garnish. Kids love to do this. You do one plate and they can copy you.
Enjoy on its own as a light lunch – or serve as a starter dish with a meat or chicken heavier dish to follow.