I love cooking in summer – and especially when its easy! This is a wonderful recipe for a ‘throw it all together’ chopped salad – which is satisfying and fun to eat and make if you have family members or friends who can help you chop and assemble and will drink wine and have laughs at the same time!
Chopped Salad ( great for using leftovers)
- Cooked chopped chicken OR turkey or cooked chopped meat ( filet mignon or other lean steak not too well done are good)
- Chopped cucumbers
- Chopped tomatoes
- Chopped baby carrots
- Chopped jicama
- Chopped dates
- Home made croutons
- Hard boiled quail eggs ( remember to add LOTS of salt to the boiling water or they are very difficult to peel)
- Chopped feta ( if you do not mind cheese and meat in the same salad – some do)
- Chopped baby arugula
- Chopped or torn pieces of spinach or kale
- Slivered Almonds ( preferably roasted)
- Finely grated Parmesan 1/4 cup for the dressing
- Champagne Vinegar and Olive Oil – 1 part to 3 parts for the dressing
- Chop all the vegetables and dates and combine with the quail eggs.
- Add the tomatoes after combining the vegetables, dates and eggs, and then the croutons on top with the feta last.
- Mix the salad dressing well and add some parmesan to thicken it
- Toss the salad just before serving.