I made this beef stew with my grandson Jack ( here seen climbing a tree) in about 5 minutes. He is not crazy about the squishy feel of raw meat, chicken or fish, but was more than happy to add the other ingredients – so easy – and also give it all a jolly good stir. Of course we always have grandma music playing – this time it was the Tickle Me Sample which always brings a giggle!
Here it is!
Beef Stew with Wine and Mushrooms
2 pounds of lean beef (chuck is good – trim off the fat and sinew)
2 tablespoons of olive oil
One onion chopped
3 cups of red wine ( older wine that you may have opened and not drank, or cooking wine) I used a merlot that had been open for about a week or so and was in my fridge kept fo this very purpose!
I cup of reconstituted porcini mushrooms (if using the dried ones) or fresh mushrooms cleaned and sliced thickly
I packet of dried onion soup mix
I can of cream of mushroom soup
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan and place the onion pieces in in and fry until translucent and light in color. Remove and put into the slow cooker.
- Then add the chunks of meat to the pan, but don’t let the pieces touch each other – they cook better that way – and don’t over pack the pan either – do it in batches.
- When the meat pieces are lightly browned on each side- remove from pan and place in the slow cooker until all batches are done.
- Open the can of mushroom soup and add to the cooker. My grandson did the adding here and the stirring.
- Open the packet of onion soup and add to the cooker. My grandson did the adding here too and the stirring.
- Add the mushrooms and their water if you reconstituted them (or ad a cup of water if fresh mushrooms) to the slow cooker – again my grandson did this and gave it all a great big stir! Bits do fall out – but who cares!
- Add a 1/2 cup of water to the hot pan and scrape all the bits and pieces off it – and pour that into the slow cooker too.
- Add the wine and stir ( good for cooking with kids!)
- Cook on low for 8 hours ( or high for 3-4) and check to see that the meat is to your liking. I found that 3 hours on high and a few hours on low did it for me.
- Serve with mashed potatoes or rice. YUM!